Recently I’ve become obsessed with Stroopwafels. For those of you who haven’t had the pleasure of trying a stroopwafel (first, you need to drop whatever you’re doing and make it happen!) they are chewy, sweet, salty, caramel waffle cookies that are impossible to put down. Dip them in tea, coffee, milk, ice cream or just inhale them on their own; you won’t regret it.
I decided to try my hand with a new pizzelle iron I got this long holiday weekend and the results were pretty good. Generally when making stroopwafels each cookie is cut in half to yield two thinner halves. This requires a VERY sharp knife and a lot of patience, neither of which I had. So I just sandwiched two normal waffles together and called it good. (And GOOD, they were!)
I haven’t come across any salted caramel varieties in my quest for stroopwafels so I decided to finish each sandwich with a sprinkle of Snowflake Sea Salt. This salt gives just the right amount of salty caramel flavor, without being too underwhelming or overpowering. Next time I want to experiment with SaltWorks other flavored salts like Fusion Espresso Brava or Fusion Habanero Heat.
- 1 tsp. active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 3 tbsp. warm water
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon Snowflake Sea Salt
- 1 tbsp. cinnamon
- 3 cups flour, more or less
- 2 large eggs
- Snowflake Sea Salt for finishing
- 1 tbsp. cinnamon
- 1 cup dark corn syrup
- ¾ cup & 2 tbsp. dark brown sugar
- ¼ cup butter, melted
- Combine yeast and sugar with 3 tbsp. warm water, stirring until dissolved. Set aside
- In stand mixer, beat butter until fluffy then add sugar, salt and cinnamon. Mix until combined
- Knead in yeast mixture, flour and eggs. Start with 2 cups of flour and add more as needed.
- Set dough aside for 1 hour in a warm area, though you will not notice any rise in the dough.
- Heat pizzelle iron and lightly grease only once.
- Roll dough into ½ in balls and place in center on iron and press for 45 – 60 seconds.
- Using a spatula, remove the waffle cookie and set aside to cool.
- Spread caramel filling on one cookie and then sprinkle with Snowflake sea salt.
- Sandwich with another cookie and enjoy!
- In medium sauce pan combine cinnamon, corn syrup and sugar over medium-low heat until dissolved and caramel thickens (6-10 min)
- Remove from heat and beat in butter.
- Allow to cool for 15 minutes.